The Welsh Language Wales Measure 2011 (WLWM 2011) provides that the Welsh Ministers can specify 5 types of standards in regulations:
- Service delivery standards
- Policy making standards
- Operational standards
- Promotion standards
- Record keeping standards.
Although it is the Welsh Ministers that specify the standards, it is for the Commissioner to decide which standards a body has to comply with by serving the body with a compliance notice. The compliance notice can require a body to comply with one or more standards, or with standards in some circumstances or in some areas (provided it is reasonable and proportionate). The Commissioner is not obliged to require every body to comply with every standard. The compliance notice must also state the day (or days) by which the body is required to comply with a standard.
The standards made to date are found in the following regulations:
• The Welsh Language Standards (No. 1) Regulations 2015
• The Welsh Language Standards (No. 2) Regulations 2016
• The Welsh Language Standards (No. 4) Regulations 2016
• The Welsh Language Standards (No. 5) Regulations 2016
• The Welsh Language Standards (No. 6) Regulations 2017
• The Welsh Language Standards (No. 7) Regulations 2018
More information about the Standards system and on compliance notices issued to organisations subject to the standards can be found on the Comisiynydd y Gymraeg website.