Helping you understand Welsh law

Regulating other persons who provide social care services

A number of different sorts of establishments and agencies providing social care are regulated under the Care Standards Act 2000.  Any person who carries on an establishment or agency as a provider and any person who manages an establishment or agency is required to register. The functions of the regulator and registration authority are conferred on the Welsh Ministers. There are separate regulations made under the Act in relation to each type of establishment or agency setting out in greater detail the regulatory requirements which apply.

The following types of establishment or agency are regulated under the Care Standards Act 2000:

  • care homes for adults (whether or not they provide nursing)
  • children’s homes
  • residential family centres
  • regulated agencies
  • domiciliary care agencies
  • fostering agencies
  • voluntary adoption agencies
  • adoption support agencies
  • nursing agencies
  • adult placement schemes

The Regulation and Inspection of Social Care (Wales) Act 2016 once implemented, will reform the regulatory regime for care and support services in Wales, and also reform the system of regulation of those who work in the sector and provide care for vulnerable adults or children.

There are currently no articles about this topic