Appeals can be made to the Welsh Ministers in the following cases:
- the refusal or conditional grant of planning permission;
- the refusal or conditional grant of any consent, agreement or approval required by a planning condition;
- the refusal or conditional grant of any approval of an LPA required under a development order;
- non-determination of a planning application.
The Welsh Ministers appoint planning inspectors to determine appeals but have powers to take over appeals and make determinations themselves.
Various other rights of appeal are separately conferred by the Planning Acts, including:
- enforcement appeals;
- refusal or non-determination of listed building consent and
- conservation area consent;
- appeals against decisions or
- failure to take decisions relating to hazardous substances.