Skip to main content

Plans and notices

Subject to certain exceptions set out in the Building Regulations 2010, a person who intends to:

  • carry out building work;
  • replace or renovate a thermal element in a building to which the energy efficiency requirements apply;
  • make a change to a building's energy status;
  • make a material change of use,
  • must give the local authority a building notice or deposit full plans.

A person must deposit full plans where they intend to carry out certain work including building work in relation to a building to which the Regulatory Reform (Fire Safety) Order 2005 applies, or will apply after the completion of the building work.

Where a building notice is given, plans are not required. Use of a building notice is designed to enable some types of building work to get under way quickly. Where a full plan application is made it must contain plans and other information showing all construction details. The local authority checks plans and consults any appropriate authorities (e.g. fire and sewerage).

In both cases, work will be inspected as it progresses.

A person is not required to give a building notice or deposit full plans where they intend to carry out work consisting only of certain types of work. Such work includes work self-certified by a member of a Competent Persons Scheme. Competent Persons Schemes allow individuals and enterprises to self-certify that their work complies with regulations 4 (requirements relating to building work) and 7 (materials and workmanship) of the Building Regulations 2010.

The Welsh Ministers authorise Competent Persons Schemes in Wales.

Published on
Last updated
18 June 2021